COPE Service Dogs is unique amongst organizations that raise and train service dogs.
The true heart of our mission is to empower students to face and overcome their own challenges while training our service dogs alongside our service dog instructors. COPE’s signature program, “Canines in the Classroom” allows students to earn high school credits.
While the students are matched with COPE puppies and are taught how to train 90 Service Dog commands, more importantly the students learn essential literacy and workplace skills. We are passionate about the ideals of community engagement & volunteerism that build contributing citizens both human and canine alike.
Please click on any of the links in our website or contact us to find out more.
Who we help: high school and elementary school students, seniors, communities, people with disabilities, patients.
How we help: we teach, we learn, we heal, we prepare, we empower, we embrace, we partner, we build contributing citizens both human and canine alike.
Some statistics on what COPE Service Dogs has achieved over the past 17 years:
- COPE’s Canines in the Classroom (CIC) in 9 secondary schools and 2 elementary schools
- Reading Buddy in 12 elementary schools
- COPE programs in 3 school boards – Simcoe Public, Simcoe Catholic and Peel Public
- Over 800 secondary student opportunities and 900 elementary students have benefitted directly from CIC and Reading Buddy
- Over 30 dogs permanently placed with people living with disabilities (Life Partners/Clients)
- Over 15 Community Canines (Facility and Trained Therapy Dogs) permanently placed
- Placement in 2017 of our first Facility Dog with Hospice Simcoe/Muskoka
- 80 Puppy Foster Volunteers extensively trained
- 40 Puppy Sitters trained
- Over 200 other volunteers have been active within COPE
- Therapy visit program in 7 Seniors Homes
You can help too. One dog…40 lives touched – help us to unleash potential, please donate!!
COPE (Canine Opportunity, People Empowerment) is a registered charitable organization based in Barrie, Ontario (BN 896771417 RR0001).